Using Lifetouch Image Stream CD
Lifetouch provides Image CD as part of their school photo package. Please follow these steps to create a source photo folder that Principalm can read:
- Install the Lifetouch Image Stream program, if it is not already installed.
- Create a new folder on your hard drive. This will be the location of the exported photos.
- Open the Image Stream program.
- Press OK, or choose Open Database from CD if you did not choose to save the photos to your computer during installation.
- You will see a list of students. Click Select All, then the ADD arrow. This will copy student names to the “Groups” side.
- Click Export Wizard.
- A new window will come up. Choose “Administrative Software,” and click Next.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Discovery Software.” Click Advanced Settings.
- Ensure the following settings are made:
- Image Type: JPG
- ColorDepth: 24-bit color
- “Generate Link File” is selected.
- “Wrap image link in quotes” is selected. Press OK.
- Choose a destination directory. This is the folder you created in step 2.
- You will receive a message when the export is complete.
- In Principalm Connect, configure the photos by choosing the destination folder created in Step 2.
(Please note that Lifetouch creates 2 subfolders within the destination folder, in this case make sure to choose the subfolder that the photos are stored in, typically this is the “PCTFILE” folder)
- Select how photos are identified by in the “identified by” drop down menu.
- Choose crop if you have torso photos that might benefit from cropping to head shot.
Using Lifetouch Student Photo CD
Lifetouch provides Image CD as part of their school photo package. Please follow these steps to create a source photo folder that Principalm can read.
Note in particular that photos cannot be imported directly from the Lifetouch Image CD.
Installing Lifetouch Image CD
If you have already installed the Lifetouch Image CD, you can skip to the next section.
- Insert the Lifetouch Image CD into your CD-ROM drive.
- If the auto-run screen does not appear, open the CD using Windows Explorer and double-click Install.exe to run the installer.
- Choose Image CD from the options.
- Follow the instructions onscreen to complete the installation.
Exporting Student Photos from Lifetouch Image CD
In order to export photos from Lifetouch CD follow these steps:
- Run the Image CD program.
- Select the drive where the CD is located.
- In the list of students that appears, select all students:
- Select the first student and click Group: Start.
- Select the last student in the list and click Group: End.
- From the File menu, choose Export Photos.
- From the File Format options, choose JPEG.
- From the Select Color/Colour Depth options, choose 24 bit.
- Click Export.
- Save the export to a folder on your computer – you can copy the folder to your network later if needed.
- Once the export finishes, it will provide the option to save a DATALINK.TXT file. Save this file to the same folder as the photos. The DATALINK.TXT file maps the JPEG file names to the corresponding student numbers.
- You will need to point Principalm Connect to the DATALINK.TXT file using the Photo Index File field. Please refer to Student Photo Import Configuration and Staff Photo Configuration in Chapter 3 for instructions on making this setting.